Travel Expense Reimbursement Guidelines
Each Teacher Seminar participant is eligible to receive a travel expense reimbursement of up to $400.00. If you are traveling internationally or from Alaska or Hawaii you will receive a flat $500 stipend and do not need to send additional paperwork. No supplements will be given in cases where travel exceeds the reimbursable amount. Participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to and from the seminar under the following guidelines. Failure to comply with the below guidelines may result in a delay or denial of reimbursement.
How to Submit Reimbursement Requests
Reimbursement Deadline: This form is due at the Gilder Lehrman Institute (GLI) no later than 20 business days after the end of the program.
Receipts: All claims for expense reimbursements must be documented by a copy of the original receipt, an online receipt, or a Google maps printout of your drive each way with the miles traveled. Credit card statements are not acceptable. Please tape (no staples) small receipts to a letter-sized sheet of paper and attach behind this form. Participants must keep receipt copies or originals in the event that paperwork is misplaced or lost.
Form: In order for your reimbursement to be processed, all fields in the form must be completed, including Date, Check Payable To, Seminar, Address, and Receipts. All final reimbursement expenses are subject to GLI’s final determination.
Please return this completed form and receipts by email to firstname.lastname@example.org; by fax to 646-366-9669; or by mail to The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, Seminars Department, 49 West 45th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10036.
Travel Expense Report
Individuals must submit their travel expense report to the Gilder Lehrman Institute by mail, email, or fax no later than twenty business days after the end of the program. Participants must combine all expenses on a single travel-expense report and may only submit for reimbursement once. We will not be able to make exceptions to this policy.
All travel reimbursements are mailed after completion of the full program. All receipts and expense reports must be sent directly to the Gilder Lehrman Institute by mail, email, or fax. Please do not give receipts or expense reports to your seminar coordinator.
- Travel Reimbursement Guidelines and Form (PDF)
- Sample Travel Reimbursement Guidelines and Form (PDF)
Air and Rail Transportation
- GLI will reimburse only the first checked baggage fee.
Car Transportation / Parking
- GLI will reimburse car mileage according to the IRS standard allowable mileage rate, currently $0.54 per mile. You may submit for mileage OR gasoline and tolls, not both.
- GLI will only reimburse taxi service expenses to and from the airport and seminar location. If participants share taxi service only one participant may request reimbursements.
- GLI will only reimburse daily and long-term airport parking rates.
- GLI will reimburse parking in cities where campus permits are not available.
- GLI will reimburse rental cars and gas, but will not reimburse mileage on a rental car.
- GLI will only reimburse bus, rail or public transit expenses to and from the airport and seminar location. The original rail ticket or an e-ticket are the only receipts that will be accepted. Commuters may submit a weekly rail pass for reimbursement.
The following expenses are NOT reimbursable:
- Personal entertainment expenses including in-flight headsets, snacks, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Meals and lodging expenses
- Childcare costs, house-sitting, and/or pet-sitting/kennel charges
- Traffic and/or parking violations
- Lost, stolen, or damaged personal property
- Avoidable failure to cancel transportation reservations
- Travel expenses for spouse or other personal guests
- Laundry, dry cleaning, or personal toiletries
- Any other expenses not directly related to traveling to/from the seminar site
- Flight cancellation/change fees and first/business class tickets